Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Week 1: Winnie the Pooh :)

We focused on HONEY this week in FHE.

Here are some of the things that we learned:
--You can store Honey forever--it doesn't go bad! So buy it now because the price keeps going up and up and up.
--there are a bunch of natural remedies that utilize honey
--we learned that it is better to buy Honey in your own locality.

The kids and I went to a local produce patch--and we found Honey from a Floral City beekeeper--so we bought some of that. We also started talking about having a "hobby" sized beehive so that we can produce some of our own honey.

I got a book from the library and I am going to start reading it & I did find a bunch of useful information online.

Our goal would be to buy the beehive material in the fall, let it get used to our environment, and then get a small bunch of bees in the Spring.

It looks like University of Florida has a "Bee College" every spring--where beginner bee keepers can come and listen to lectures and stuff. http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/honeybee/extension/bee_college.shtml

If we actually get into this beekeeping stuff--then that might be something fun to check out. Honey is really getting expensive. The local stuff cost me $20.00 for 96 oz.

The Food Storage Calculator at http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm only suggests having 3 lbs of Honey per person per year. (So we have a family of 5--so I'm working on getting 15 lbs)

But since it doesn't go bad, it doesn't need to be rotated, the price seems to be increasing, it has medicinal purposes too--I'm hoping to get more than just the minimum.

My goal is to try to figure out what kind of plants are the best for bees--and then see if I can incorporate those plants into my garden. That way--the bees have something to eat!

My dad raised bees when he was younger--so we are going to really tap into his expertise in this department! He said it was a lot of fun (except in the hot summer months)! I'm really excited!!!

There are a couple of books out there that I'm going to also try to pick up:
Beekeeping for dummies and Backyard beekeeping!

Honey! Honey! Honey!

3 comments:

Brittan said...

I also learned that honey can be dangerous for infants under 12 months old! It can carry diseases-that babies aren't prepared to fight off! So I'll keep this yummy treat away from my little Barrett (currently 5 months old).

Brittan said...

Color is usually an indication of flavor concentration. Colors can range from near-white through yellow, yellow-green, gold, amber, dark brown or red to even nearly black. Usually a lighter color will indicate a milder flavor, while darker honey is customarily more robust and contains more minerals. Texture can also vary from thin to heavy.

Brittan said...

I found this yummy recipe today! A perfect "pick me up" snack:

Mix 1/2 cup peanut butter & 1/4 cup Honey. Add 1/2 cup dry/instant milk and MIX.
Then add 1/2 cup of your favorite cereal (we did gluten free corn flakes so that Brian could eat it).

YUMMY~ Make them into little balls and store in the fridge! Just a good way to get some of that food storage rotating into our daily diets!

(It took me an entire 5 minutes to make about 12 little balls).